FAITH







As a student at Brigham Young University - Idaho, I have the opportunity to take religion classes. This Winter 2025 semester I am taking a course called “Teachings of the Book of Mormon.” The Book of Mormon is additional doctrine that was revealed to Joseph Smith. It supports and helps us better understand God’s teachings to us, His children. The Book of Mormon and the Bible go hand in hand for many teachings. While some Christians separate themselves from other religions, I wanted to bring together an idea that all religions believe in. Faith! 


Faith, as defined by the dictionary, is having “complete trust or confidence in someone or something.” In any religion, you must have faith in a deity or a leader. For Christians, we believe in Jesus Christ, hence the word “Christ” in the name. For members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we have faith in Jesus Christ as well as our living prophets. Prophets guide us in the trying times here on Earth. Everyone practices faith throughout their lives. Faith sometimes seems like meaning you have full understanding of something, therefore you trust. However, I have come to learn that faith isn’t having a perfect knowledge of something. In Alma 32 of the Book of Mormon, we are taught, “Faith is hope in that which is not seen which is true.” Faith requires following to learn. There is a story I heard recently from one of my faculty mentors based on the idea of faith. We can relate Earth to a big dark room, and God provides the light. Sometimes, when we are faced with a difficult decision, God will shine the spotlight to another area of the room so that we can see and follow. Other times, it is required of us to step out of the light, and with faith, see if the light follows. God wants us to learn here on Earth and he especially wants us to exercise our faith in Him. 


On January 28, 2025, I had the opportunity to go to the weekly devotional held on my campus. That week we had Sister Kristen M. Yee, the Second Counselor in the General Relief Society Presidency for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She spoke to us about having faith and how to grow it. She shared that when you first buy a plant from the store, it is in a little pot. After watering it and giving it light, it grows to the point where it can’t grow anymore; unless you move it to a bigger pot. There is an awkward stage for the plant learning to grow on its own in a new environment. But if we trust, we will adjust. I’m sure that as a plant, I wouldn’t want to move out of my comfortable pot. However, I also know that I wouldn’t be able to grow. As I pondered how to grow my faith, Sister Yee shared, “Do something that will increase your faith.” 


As a school-a-holic, I am always searching for ways to learn and advance my resume. BYU-I is a dedicated place to prepare disciple scholars. I stay at BYU-I because of the spirit, education, and endless opportunities. At the end of the day, “The Lord isn’t looking at your resume, He is looking at your heart.” (Sister Yee). As a Christian and a student, I hope to find more ways to grow my own faith and share it with others. Enos 1 verse 15 says, “Whatsoever thing ye shall ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive in the anime of Christ, ye shall receive it.” I know that this church is true and that through faith, I will be able to accomplish anything.


Comments

Popular Posts