Career Research Project


When I started this project, I thought I knew the job for me beforehand. But as I did my research, and reached out to my mentor, I realized that maybe my goals are a little different. It is exciting to know that there are multiple opportunities for us all and that we can change goals and still succeed.

The first job I researched was a Coinbase crypto lawyer. To have this job I would obviously need to be a licensed attorney. I would also need 4 years of law firm experience before coming into the job. With this education and experience I would be able to provide practical advice on legal issues. The goal of Coinbase is to provide a secure platform for digital currencies to customers all around the world. The legal advice I offer would be very important. I would also need a understanding of crypto and government. I have some Hill (meaning Capitol Hill in D.C.) experience and I also have a big passion for cryptocurrencies. To succeed in this job or land a good interview, I would need negotiation skills. What stood out from the job title online was the phrase, “first-of-a-kind agreements.” This was interesting because crypto doesn’t have many or any regulations in our country right now. The influence I would be able to have within that industry would be so important.

The second job I looked into was a Senate Legislative Correspondent or LC. And LC prepares the Senator for meetings or hearings. They attend on behalf of their representative and provide notes after. To have this job you would need policymaking experience. I will talk about this a lot because of the impact it has had on my life, but I am going to share the BITCOIN Act of 2024. This last summer I was able to be a part of the creation of this bill. This experience has given me policymaking experience that is very important for a job like this. Another thing to consider in this job is the fast-paced environment. I would need to be adaptable and quick to learn.

The last job I studied was the U.S. Telecom Communications Director. This is a photo of Kayleigh Mcenany, Trump’s former press secretary. I had the opportunity to meet with her at a National Right to Life conference in D.C. She was a very influential person for my career mindset. The U.S. Telecom communications director would need to be able to effectively communicate and network. I want to work on maintaining relationships with others professionally because I think I slack off in that area. In this job, you would also need to engage with policymakers which I mentioned before my experience and interest in that area. The final part I wanted to mention with this job would be to improve telecommunications issues. My dad works for a small tech company in Wyoming and so the things U.S. Telecom does, affects my family and the people in my valley. I would want to make a positive change in the industry.

Before I share the job I am most interested in, I want to share my mentor interview experience. Last fall, we got to hear from President Kevin Worthen (the former president of BYU and now professor of law at BYU-law) in our weekly devotional. He spoke about the Constitution. Since I was 12 years old, I have carried a pocket-sized Constitution with me everywhere. The messages he shared resonated with me deeply. I decided to just walk up to the stage after devotional and tell him how grateful I was for his words. The security let me through and we started to talk about law school. He then invited me to lunch with him and the Merediths. That experience was definitely life-changing. After we met in the fall, he gave me his number and told me to reach out. I mentioned earlier that I am not the best at keeping relationships professionally so I didn’t reach out soon after we met. For this project, I decided to reach out. We had a great phone meeting and I learned so much from him. We discussed why BYU-law is a good fit for me. There is a special spirit at the law school that you can’t find anywhere else. He mentioned that law and God go hand in hand. The other things we talked about were AI and crypto. I told him my interest in crypto law and he shared that this passion will be very beneficial for my career. From the meeting I learned that if you are going to do anything, be the best at it.

The job that interested me the most after research and meeting with my mentor was the crypto lawyer for Coinbase. These photos are from the summer when we got to help with the BITCOIN act. Since I was a child, I’ve wanted to make a difference. I didn’t know how, but as I grow older, I realize my potential in the monetary system. Being a lawyer in this company would help me be involved with the policies as well as make a difference. I would also love to be able to represent the Lord wherever I work. As I change careers, I hope people notice I went to BYU law and start a conversation with me on it. The final thing I love about this job is the continuing education. I wanted to pick something that would require more than my Bachelors. I hope to continue to learn throughout the rest of my life.


Comments

Popular Posts